Short Pump Animal Hospital

Health & Travel Certificates

Pet health certificates are a must for people who wish to take their pets with them on their travels. Preparing for travel can be a challenging process, as the list of requirements is extensive and you’ll have to do a little more research to make sure your pet satisfies those requirements, and any others that are specific to your destination country/countries.

Traveling With Your Pet?

The health certificate verifies that your pet is not only healthy but in compliance with all of the specific health standards of the country/countries to which you are traveling. This will prevent your pet from being quarantined when you arrive at your destination.

Call us if you have any questions or concerns about obtaining the proper documents for your pet. Preparing for international travel is a stringent and sometimes stressful process, and we want to make it as easy as possible for you.

The Steps to Obtaining an International Health Certificate for Your Pet

Traveling to another country or countries requires a lot of preparation. Take the opportunity to review the list below and start completing all the steps listed, if you haven’t already.

  1. First, consider the country/countries you’ll be visiting and find out what their health requirements are for pet travel. Go here to get the information you need.
    1. Keep in mind that requirements can change, so bookmark your pages and check them periodically just in case.
    2. Some countries quarantine pets automatically. Verify whether your destination country follows this policy.
    3. Countries also have requirements for pet microchips, so be sure your pet has the right type.
    4. What tests are required for your pet? See what your pet still needs and schedule their appointment as soon as you can.
  2. What airline will you be using? Contact them to find out their requirements as well, as these are entirely separate from the requirements of your host country/countries. This includes:
    1. Pet carrier requirements
    2. Where your pet will be located on the plane
    3. A sedation policy
    4. Their vaccination, parasite control, and health certificate requirements
  3. Find out if a USDA endorsement is required.
    1. Go here for endorsement fee information
    2. We can now submit many health certificates online for endorsement. In those cases, we can collect those endorsement fees at the time of your USDA endorsement.

If you have any questions, please reach out to us for assistance.

Join the Short Pump Animal Hospital Family Today!

Phone: 804-360-0100

Send Us A Message!

  • Monday:
  • Tuesday:
  • Wednesday:
  • Thursday:
  • Friday:
  • Saturday:
  • Sunday: